So, I reread chapter 1 of Tamar Jeffers McDonald, "Romantic Comedy" Boy Meets Girl Meets Genre". I found many points profound. Steve Neale and Rick Altman stress the importance of how the romcom movies intertwine with other genres. This results in "hybridity" (8). I also remembering watching the movie, "Jerry Maguire" and thinking Tom Cruise played one arrogant sports agent. It was an old movie, but the few scenes we did see in class the other day reminded me of how young the actors looked. The chapter also mentions how much marketing goes on into making a movie appear as if "you gotta see this". And it works. One example of that is the recent movie, "Easy A". There's advertisements for this movie everywhere. I wish they didn't show so much of the movie clips...I pretty much know how it's going to end. They define what a romcom is....."the movie focuses entirely on love and ends with that same focus" (9). The book also talks about how romcom sells products, which is true for most movies, and the myth that all these movies are "chick flicks". But, if we think about it, are all suspensful movies, for example, all guy movies? I guess we identify chick flicks with any movie that has two heterosexual beings falling for each other. Personally, I like comedies and romantic movies. Serious movies bore me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment